Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Powder Room

A while ago I saw this on Pinterest....

here is the link to the tutorial.

I decided that I wanted to do this to our main floor bathroom. I am truly not too sure what I was thinking(obviously I was not thinking too clearly).  I thought it looked like a clever idea, and as a bonus it was a VERY affordable alternative to wallpaper. I also thought-how awesome that you won't have to peel wall paper off when you want to change your decor.

So back in January, I embarked on hand stenciling my bathroom(powder room). I started out with quite a bit of gusto and managed to get the whole bathroom painted a very light grey color during the boys nap time.
I figured the rest of the job would take a week or two and I could get most of it done during naps and evenings. Holy smokes was I ever wrong! This dumb project took me three months.(note: I "quit" doing it many times.
A couple things to consider if you ever decide to stencil:
  • how many corners are in the space.
  • in my case, how to get the stencil around the toilet and pedestal sink.
  • the paint that you are working with-if it has any sort of a sheen to it, it will require  MULTIPLE coats before it looks even.
  • small spaces make it difficult to work in.
All of these things caused this small project to take FOREVER. Looking back I would just buy wallpaper. My time is way to valuable to be tied up in such a tedious task!(All of you out there are thinking-yeah!duh)

Now that the project is completed, I really like how it turned out. I had a GC for Winners and I picked up a mirror and towel rack from there.I think the small bathroom just has a lot more character.

So here is the reveal-hahaha....(looks like I deleted the before pic-oops:)





3 comments:

  1. You did an AWESOME job! Sounds like a lot of tedious work, but the result is fantastic, now come do mine! Haha just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaat?! That's looks so amazing, I love that you complained so much about how long it took but then it looooks so good! You betta pinterest yourSELF and inspire others to spend 3 months making their bathroom look so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Linsdey, that is sooooooo pretty! I LOVE it! Come to utah and do mine! XOXO Eve

    ReplyDelete